Monday 9 June 2014

A Long Difficult Walk just to see trains..



20th December 2013…
                  I was counting my days in Pune and it was decided that i should visit the Shindawane ghats once more before i move out of Pune. I decided to do this plan alone as the date decided was 21st. The weather forecast indicated a very humid day but that did not stop me. It was time for me to return back home and as i started moving out from office, got a call from my friend asking about my weekend plans. I explained about this plan and he immediately volunteered to join. I agreed and we decided to meet at a common point Hinjewadi circle the next day at 7am. With everything ready for the exciting day, I hit the bed after a good dinner. 

Trip teaser can be seen below..


 
21st December 2013…
                  Woke up at 5 and got ready by 6. Still plenty of time left, I decided to track the current position of trains that I will be catching up at Shindawane. With one final check of all the things needed, I left my place at 6:45am. I met my friend as planned at Hinjewadi circle. After 30 minutes of wait, we finally catch a bus to Pune station. The bus journey turns out to be one of the slowest journeys that I have done on this stretch. We finally reach Pune station by 8:45 am. With very little time left for our train’s departure. We decided to have a simple street breakfast, Fruit salad and vada pavs. Station is reached at 9:00am and luckily the signal is not cleared for our train. I ask my friend to wait on the platform number 2 and ran to get our tickets. Time was 09:05am by the time I returned, still no signs of line clear. We finally settle down on the 2nd coach. At 09:15 am, Pune Alco blows its horns and we start moving. Next 30 minutes is spent on details of the location with my friend. Exactly at 10:00am, we reach Shindawane ghats. I got down and ran a bit to get a picture of the loco of our train. The train moves out with lovely chugging. I then explain my friend the details about the place and we finally start moving towards the longest viaduct of Shindawane ghats. It’s a 6km walk from the station via the tracks and around a km less if walked along the plains. We decided to walk along the plains as I have done the walk on the tracks before and my friend is not comfortable walking on the tracks. The temperature is bit high as expected, it starts showing on us. Almost an hour into our walk we hear our first train sound. Twin EMD's from Raipur shed running light towards Pune. We then walk past the area where the first tunnel on this section is located. We decided to climb this hill to have a look from the top. Chug chug sounds start up again and it is starting to increase indicating a freight is on the move and its climbing the hills. Soon Twin Alco’s from Kazipet roars past us. We then decide to go through tunnel number 2 to reach the viaduct. It was very hot when we reached the viaduct. It was decided to explore the surrounding and have a view of the viaduct from various angles. Time was 12:00 where we heard a distinct EMD roar indicating the arrival of a long metal snake, Karnataka Samapark Kranti, it passed the viaduct without any troubles. If observed closely one will also be able to see the Solapur Pune railway line from here, we did see a train rushing towards Pune. By 2pm, 3 more trains passed and we decided to go to the base of the viaduct. While we were moving, a localite came running to us to know what we were doing here. I seriously don’t know whether I was able to convey what I was doing all this time. I and my friend were speaking in half boiled Hindi and the localite was mostly responding in Marathi. Nevertheless we smiled at each other before moving away. As we were moving down Koyna Express bound to Mumbai gave us a silent attack. I was never in a proper position to capture it on my camera. By 3:00pm we reached the base and soon a rebuilt Alco passed the viaduct with Swarna Jayanthi Express. Our base started making wired sounds indicating that we are starving and with only water in hand we had no choice but to start moving towards the station for our return journey. A derated Alco with Hopper rakes crossed us as we were returning. I had a very good lunch when I had visited this place in March. Hoping for the same, we started towards the hotel which was near to the station. Every step closer got us excited as we were about to enjoy some north Indian food. Fate had other ideas, the hotel was completely demolished and the same happened to our hopes. Luckily a 4 wheeler was going towards Uruli, we jumped in and jumped out at Uruli in 30 minutes at Rs20 per head. Our mind had only food at that time and we soon entered the nearest hotel that we saw. We had a good puri bhaji and then dosa to finish our lunch. Time was around 5:00pm so it was decided to take the Solapur passenger train back to Pune from here. As we were entering Uruli station, I saw the latest sensation of Indian railways WDP4D entering with a train. Assuming it to be passenger train, I ran to the counter to get the tickets. I gave Rs.20 and reply came that ticket is Rs.60, then i soon realized that it was the late running Jhelum Express. With no option, we boarded the first coach rather should i say that i made my friend to board the first coach so that i can enjoy the loco sounds. We soon departed from Uruli to mark my first run behind WDP4D’s. Run was wonderful and we finally reached Pune at 06:25pm. One of our friends who was near Pune station at that time picked us up to Hinjewadi to end this exciting, amazing ( only for me ) and tiring ( both of us ) day. Video and Pictures can be seen below..

 
 

                                        Pune WDM3A with Pune Kolhapur Passenger at Shindawane...

                                                                           A Parakeet..

                                                  Raipur WDG4 twins  running light towards Pune..

                                                  KZJ WDG3A twins with BCNA climbing the Ghats..

                                                          Right below the tallest viaduct of Shindawane...

                                                              The Superman of Indian Railways..
.
                                                Karanataka Sampark Kranti Express led by KJM WDP4....

                  A train seen on the Solapur Pune line from Shindawane ghats ( Hutatma Express to Pune ) ..

                                                               GY WDG4 twins with BCNA..

                                                     Pune WDG3A with Kolhapur Pune Passenger..

                                                       View of the Viaduct from ground level..
 
My friend’s name is Sam kumar, we work at the same place. A special thanks to him without which trip would have been a different story. The title is mainly taken from my friend’s reaction after the trip. A good amount of Wildlife can be seen as well..

5 comments:

  1. Lovely trip. A stupendous effort.

    Apurva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mate, once I get a job and have fixed myself up, I'm gonna consider donating a better camcorder, so that you can upload in higher quality. Till then, consider getting something like a GH4 or something similar which can do 4k and look decent in low light, right now, most of your vids seem to be shot during the day but a lot of train action also happens at night. Also something like the P900 would do wonders since you zoom around a lot.

    ReplyDelete